Angel Gomes turned down a new contract worth £25,000 per week plus bonuses from Manchester United, according to a report.
United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer had previously said the club was in talks with the midfielder over a new deal.
On Monday, however, the Norwegian reached the tentative conclusion that no agreement had been reached.
Gomes’ contract runs out on Tuesday.
“I’ve got no news, nothing, so it doesn’t look like it,” Solskjaer when asked if Gomes will stay.
“To be honest, I’ve not heard from them last night or this morning. It seems like they haven’t managed to agree so the answer is probably short and yes, then.”
As things stand, the 19-year-old will leave this week with his final game for the Red Devils coming in January.
However, Gomes snubbed the offer and reportedly has “a series of offers” from across Europe.
One of those clubs is Chelsea, who earlier reports claimed held interest in the midfielder.
The Blues will prepare a “persuasive” deal which they hope will sway Gomes away from clubs across the continent.
Hamburg, Valencia and Benfica are also keen and currently lead Chelsea in the race to snap the youngster up.
Influential agent Pini Zahavi is heading up Chelsea’s pursuit of Gomes, although it is unclear how fast talks are progressing.
SOLSKJAER UNSURE OF MAN UTD BUDGET
In other news, Solskjaer has admitted that the pandemic has thrown his side’s transfer budget into doubt.
Clubs across Europe will scale back their spending in the coming months to shield from the financial effects of the pandemic.
Fans have been barred from matches since major leagues restarted after a three-month hiatus.
Solskjaer said in April that his side – one of the wealthiest – may be able to exploit the situation.
Now, though, the manager is not so sure.
The post Failed Man Utd offer for rebel emerges, as Chelsea prepare lucrative deal appeared first on teamtalk.com.